I just wanted to pop in and share a quick treat with you. Autumn is my absolute favorite time of year. I love everything about it: crisp, cool air; sweaters, hay rides, cider, bonfires, football games, the pumpkin patch, apple picking – good heavens, I could go on forever! But, I especially love the food. I love to bake (and all other manner of vintage house-wifery), but haven’t much patients for complicated preparations. This quick bread is easy enough for even the most novice of cooks to impress the mother-in-law. So, here is one of my favorite fall recipes.
Enjoy, my little kitchenistas!
Prep Time: 20 Minutes
Cook Time: 50 to 55 Minutes
- 2 or 3 ripe bananas, mashed
- 2 eggs *(substitute 1/4 cup apple sauce to make it vegan)
- 1/4 cup vegetable or canola oil
- 1 1/3 cups canned pumpkin puree (not pumpkin pie filling)
- 1/2 cup honey *(substitute 1/2 cup brown sugar to make it vegan)
- 1/2 cup white sugar
- 1 1/2 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
- 1 teaspoon all spice
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 3/4 cup golden raisins, candied ginger, or chocolate chips
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Grease a 9×5 inch loaf pan.
- In a large bowl, stir together the mashed bananas, eggs, oil, pumpkin, honey, and sugar.
- Combine the flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and spices together.
- Stir the dry mixture into the banana/pumpkin mixture until just combined.
- Fold in the raisins, ginger, or chocolate chips.
- Pour batter into the prepared pan.
- Bake at 350 degrees F (175 degrees C) for 50 to 55 minutes or until the top is crisp and a toothpick inserted into the center of the loaf comes out clean.
- Cool the loaf in the pan for 10 minutes before moving to a wire rack to cool completely.
I do hope you enjoy this recipe. Please let me know how it turned out for you.